Sr. Operations Systems Engineer - Rocklin or Vacaville
Company: PG&E Corporation
Posted on: January 9, 2022
Requisition ID# 109300Job Category : Engineering / Science;
Information Technology; Maintenance / Construction / OperationsJob
Level : Individual ContributorBusiness Unit: Electric Operations
Department OverviewEMS Operations Systems Engineers ensure that EMS
situational awareness applications, network models, advanced
applications, and Operations Planning study tools are functioning
at a high level to provide confidence that the PG&E
transmission system is operating in a safe and reliable manner. In
addition, the EMS Operations Systems engineers provide operational
and project related support of the Energy Management System (EMS)
in collaboration with EMS end users. The EMS team provides 24-hour
rotational EMS support for PG&E Grid Operations. EMS Operations
Systems Engineers are responsible for EMS troubleshooting, EMS
SCADA applications, EMS network applications and models, DTS
applications and models, coordinating data needs with external
teams, and supporting Grid Operations to ensure an overall high
level of service to end users. EMS Operations Systems Engineers
follow all PG&E processes and procedures and collaborate
closely with key stakeholders to ensure systems, software, models,
and data are meeting end users needs. EMS Operations Systems
Engineers will participate in activities such as meetings, Grid
Operations support, Training support, or systems support as needed
and as directed by EMS management.Position SummaryOperations
Systems Engineer, Expert, Network Applications will report to the
Supervisor, Operations Systems and be a member of the EMS Network
Applications team. Expert Engineer leads complex engineering
projects, is a recognized expert within their area of
responsibility, and applies extensive knowledge of concepts,
principles, and practices to resolve complex problems with only
general direction. Provides technical leadership and coaching.
Researches and identifies practical solutions to highly complex
problems. Identifies opportunities and brings in ideas to help
improve company performance. Independently completes assignments of
broad scope and complexity with few precedents or standards, and
assignments that require integration of information from a variety
- 8 years of experience in power system or control system
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Control
Systems Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 8 years of work experience supporting advance power system such
as Power Flow and State Estimation within the Bulk Electric
- Extensive knowledge of the GE Grid Solutions/Alstom EMS
- Advanced level knowledge in EMS advanced applications (state
estimation and contingency analysis), voltage stability analysis,
transient stability analysis, Synchrophasor based analysis
- Working proficiency with industry standard power flow analysis
applications. Competitive candidates must have strong technical and
- Competitive candidates should demonstrate excellent written and
verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to take
- Operational knowledge of the Transmission System.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Knowledge of California and Federal regulatory requirements
such as Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), NERC/CIP,
WECC, CPUC, and CAISO.
- Able to influence others to achieve understanding, acceptance,
and commitment to act in support of ideas, programs or causes.
- Strong understanding of the overall EMS architecture
- Act as a subject matter expert for supporting the real-time
applications used by the reliability coordinators state estimator,
contingency analysis (with RAS/SPS modeled), voltage stability and
transient stability. Ensure robust, high quality solutions by
tuning the network model and correcting issues with real-time
telemetry, models, etc.
- Design, develop and implement modification to EMS system models
to reflect ongoing changes to the transmission, generation and
- Timely response to control center personnel for information or
solution to power system application problems (Powerflow, State
Estimation, Contingency Analysis)
- Responsible for identifying and addressing gaps in EMS
- Participate in the effort for integration of Synchrophasor data
into existing EMS tools such as state estimation. Perform software
testing for Synchrophasor applications such as oscillation
detection, phase angle monitoring, situational awareness, voltage
- Assist in the development and operationalization of procedures
and ensure compliance with applicable NERC Standards.
- Provides real-time and on-call technical support to operations
by analyzing and resolving EMS application and data issues to
ensure high quality application solutions.
- Leads development and implementation of new system concepts
based on end user needs and input from vendors.
- Supervising the work of multiple teams. Supervising and
overseeing the technical aspects of projects.
- Independently plans, architects, and designs complete complex
EMS system solutions and projects.
- Leads development of department standards, processes, and
- Identifies, analyzes, and improves existing business processes
to meet existing/new goals and objectives.
- Searches for and discovers practical solutions to highly
- Provides leadership, direction, and assistance to technical
employees and teams. Coaches and develops others.
- As assigned ensures the cost-effective implementation of the
highest priority projects while optimizing capital investments.
Manage projects within the project budget and schedule.
- Conceives and investigates areas in which engineering
precedents are not tested and contributes to new designs and
techniques that are regarded as major advances in the company
- Leads and supports industry initiatives, including those
sponsored by NERC, WECC, CAISO, or other appropriate forums.
- Is seen as a subject matter expert in EMS and DTS Applications.
May have ownership of one or more NERC standard and is expected to
participate in NERC/WECC audits
- Provides post-event analysis of events such as EMS application
failures, modeling issues, data loss, etc.
- Provides on-the-job training and guidance for engineers with
Keywords: PG&E Corporation, Rocklin , Sr. Operations Systems Engineer - Rocklin or Vacaville, Other , Rocklin, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!